‘Every child, every school and its community have to believe they can make a difference’.
At Victoria Road we firmly hold this belief and the last few years have seen our whole school community actively involved. Involving our children is critical at every stage, whether through the curriculum, themed days or part of the Eco-Council.
The Eco-Council, now in its eighth year, meets regularly to discuss a wide range of interests and issues, such as preparing presentations on Energy: helping to augment our work as an Eco-School.
Every term the Eco-council also invites teachers, school staff, parents and governors to join them. Devising our Eco-Code and undertaking an Environmental Review are examples of their work, which have helped Victoria Road achieve the Bronze and Silver Award, as part of the Eco-Schools initiative and we are delighted to announce we have now acheived our Eco Green Flag!
This amazing achievement recognises the positive changes which have happened at Victoria Road over the recent years.
Our child-led approach has been an important aspect of this work, driven by enthusiastic members of the Eco-council. Well done to them!
The ECO council have developed our new action plan for the coming year. We have 5 clear focus'
4. School Grounds
5. Healthy Living
Who are they?
Our ECO council is made up of 2 children from each class from Year 2 to Year 6.
We decided our most important jobs are:
- Delivering assemblies each term raising awareness of our termly campaign
- Keeping the ECO area tidy and useable
- Planting and Growing vegetables
- Creating bug houses/hotels to attract and care for local wildlife
- Helping children to be more mindful
- Raising awareness of global issues and supporting people in reducing the amount of plastic that they are using